Sunday 22 February 2015

INTERVIEW: EMILIE VAN CAMP



One of the first ideas that I had for Girlfolk was to interview a selection of my favourite girls on Instagram - those that explore both rural and urban spaces, and take the incredible photographs that make us want to visit the places that they have been. I've been overwhelmed with the response that I have received from an array of inspiring ladies, whose work always invokes wanderlust in me.

For the first in this series, I asked Emilie Van Camp a couple of questions. I was particularly excited to quiz Emilie; not only because I admire her beautiful landscapes, but because she recently spent nine months living in the Scottish Highlands - an area that I'm excited to be exploring later this year. 

Follow Emilie on Instagram: @emilievancamp



GF: What’s your name and what do you do?

EVC: Hello there! First of all I would like to thank you for having me on your blog. My name is Emilie Van Camp. I have a background in Modern Languages and Literature in English, Spanish and Italian, but I guess I am still trying to find out exactly what I would like to do (too many things I have an interest in)…But when I am not busy thinking about it, I mainly shoot, style and paint.


GF: What was your favourite thing about Scotland?

EVC:  I had the privilege of living nine unforgettable months in the Highlands and was surrounded by absolute beauty. I would have to say that my favourite thing about Scotland is its generosity. Nature is simply offered to you on a golden plate and you cannot help yourself but to grasp it entirely and selfishly. You can wander for hours because when you are in the middle of such a spectacle, time stops and you feel alive. 



GF: What three things would you recommend doing whilst in Scotland?

EVC: 1. I would definitely take a trip to the West Coast, it is simply magical and it is full of little hidden gems. 

2. If you befriend with a local or find a really nice place that does it well I would recommend to try a proper delicious highland specialty: Cullen Skink…just trust me on that one!

3. I would spend a day or two kayaking on a Loch or river. I do not why but it makes you feel closer to nature.



GF: Did you visit any of the islands? Could you share your favourite spot on the islands you visited?

EVC:  I visited the Isle of Skye which is like the Caribbean but a lot colder haha! Some of the beaches are considered the most beautiful in the world but no one wants to get into the water…I wonder why??? We were really lucky; we were on your way back home when a local told us we could not leave before seeing the Coral Beach (north of Dunvegan). There was little time before sunset so we hurried and drove to a car park where you then have to walk for about 40 minutes - but once you arrive your breath is taken away. You arrive on the top of a hill where you can see the playful seals welcoming you, the turquoise water, the white sand beach and then…cows resting on the beach and rabbits running along the grass! It is a bit surreal but what a picture! I would try not to miss the Fairy Pools and the Cuillin Mountain range as well…



GF: Can you share your favourite secret spots with us?

EVC:  For incredible scenery - without a doubt Glen Affric!!!! It is my favourite spot in the Highlands, and I was lucky enough to see it during the different seasons and whether it is snowed in or orange-yellow-green with nature, the place is just perfect! 

For remoteness - I would say Glen Etive. It's a very long dead end road but what a view!!!! 

For eating out - The Oyster Shed near the Talisker Whiskey Distillery in Skye. You will be welcomed by a lovely (hard to understand!) fisherman in his yellow salopettes literally in his shed selling his catches of the day: oysters, scallops, mussels…any fish or seafood that his mum will prepare for you in her chips van! The fish soup is a must!! There are little tables outside on the hill with a stunning view over the sea and the floor is covered with the shells thrown by the passing people.

For exploring - Everywhere, because any road is a journey and you will want to stop the car every two minutes.


GF: Where would you love to live, if you could live anywhere in the world?

EVC: Mmmmmh that is a tricky one, I guess I have not visited much of the world to be able to answer this question, there are still places I dream of visiting and where I could definitely see myself living. But having lived in a few different places and countries, I know it is a bit cliché, but it will need to be where my other half is and hopefully a few other people that I love. Because at the end of the day, I could be in my dream place but if I had nobody to share it with, it would not be perfect to me anymore. 



GF: Where’s your favourite place in the world?

EVC:  God, another one…let me think…Home, wherever that may be.



GF: What’s on your travel bucket list?

EVC:  Japan, Iceland, New Zealand, Lapland, Laos, Italy, Croatia, Tasmania, Australia, Russia, Cambodia, Peru, Canada, The United States,…………..and going back to Scotland!


Follow Emilie on Instagram: @emilievancamp

Visit Emilie's website



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me and your kind words!!!! I hope I will be able to inspire people to discover this beautiful part of the world...and I hope you will have a lovely time there yourself, I cannot wait to see your pictures :)

    Emilie xx

    ReplyDelete