Saturday 28 February 2015

INTERVIEW: SUSANNA RISSER



You may know Susanna by her Instagram alias, Lady Cascades - she does have over 68,000 followers! I've developed an obsessive fascination with Oregon, thanks to Instagram, and Susanna's feed only adds to that addiction. Breathtaking shots of local landscapes sit alongside her sunlight drenched portrait work, whetting my appetite for a future visit to the PNW. Alongside her own account, Susanna also co-curates @thosePNWgirls alongside another favourite @ajclementine

Follow Susanna on Instagram: @ladycascades


GF: What's your name and what do you do?


SR: My name is Susanna Risser. I am a wedding, portrait and landscape photographer. Its sort of a new found passion of mine, which makes sense since my father was a photographer. I picked it up a couple years ago and it sort of took off. Word of mouth is by far the best form of advertisement. I also work for a PNW coffee company called Dutch Bros coffee. Its the perfect job because they are super flexible with my crazy schedule. 



GF: Where is your absolute favourite place in the PNW ?


SR: This is a touch question for me. I have too many, honestly. Does Yosemite count as the PNW? By far thats one of the most beautiful places Ive ever had the pleasure of visiting. Also, the Big Four Ice caves in Northern Washington is a must. They are huge glaciers that melt into caves. Dangerous for sure, but worth the hike in to see the views from Mount Baker. 



GF: Where are your go-to spots when photographing people?


SR: I love a shallow depth of field for my portraits. So I can really shoot anywhere I want because the back drop won't matter too much. But the obvious best place is outside where you can collect the best lighting. Anywhere there are mountains or beautiful landscapes I am there! Also, sunset (golden hour) is the best time of day to do portraits. 



GF: Can you share your favourite secret spots with us?


SF: For breakfast/brunch - Portland Oregon's "Por Que No?" best brunch ever!!!!

For insane scenery - Grand Teton, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. 

For coffee - Drive thru coffee is Dutch Bros coffee, sit down is Coava in Portland OR. 

For tranquillity - Oregon Coast 

For exploring - The Redwoods 



GF: Where would you most like to explore in the world?


SR: Well, I still have never been to Alaska. And the Swiss Alps has always been a place I'd love to visit. But I'm the first one to say, explore your own backyard first. So many people don't even realize what is near them. They spend all sorts of money traveling far when the most beautiful things are sometimes just a couple hours drive! I've pretty much explored all there is in Oregon, northern Cali and Washington. I'm ready for some new scenery..



GF: Where's your favourite place in the world? 


SR: One of the most incredible places I've ever visited in my life was on Prince Edward Island, Canada. It was a lighthouse called Peggy's cove. It sits on the smoothest cream colored rocks on the edge of the Atlantic. White bodied with a bright red top, it is an award winning view. The day I went it was filled with tourists. But I remember just sitting on a bench and starring as long as I could. I told myself some day I will return. Something about that lighthouse that just moved me. I highly suggest making it a point to visit. 



GF: What's on your travel bucket list?

SR: Iceland, Greenland, Swiss Alps, Alaska, Ireland. 


Follow Susanna on Instagram: @ladycascades

No comments:

Post a Comment