Tuesday 24 February 2015

INTERVIEW: LIZ HULL


I've followed Liz on Instagram ever since I first discovered the app - and have frequently featured the inspiring look-book's for her online vintage store, Mayflower Supply on my other blog. New York is somewhere that has always been on my travel bucket list, and I would love to hang out with Liz and her friends if I ever got the chance to cross the pond - so it was only natural that I got in touch to ask if she would like to share some of her favourite places in The Big Apple, and beyond.

Follow Liz on Instagram: @liz.hull


GF: What's your name and what do you do?

LH: Liz Hull, and I'm the owner of an online vintage boutique called Mayflower Supply. We also sell some accessories from local designers and artisans that compliment the vintage.



GF: What's your favourite thing about living in New York?

LH: The people! I've met so many incredible and inspiring friends since moving here–including the man I'm going to marry! Whenever I'm feeling down, or just having a "what am I doing with my life?!" moment, these folks lift me back up and remind me why I'm here, and keep me moving forward.



GF: Can you share your favourite secret spots with us?

LH:  For breakfast/brunchCafe Ghia is by far my most favorite brunch spot in my neighborhood. The food is amazing, there's hardly ever a wait and the staff are just the sweetest, coolest folks.

For coffeeIt's not really a to-go spot, but Mominette is this adorable little French cafe near me that has that quintessential French vibe. I love going in there, sitting at the bar and just ordering a coffee. They also have a fantastic backyard that is divine during the warmer months!

For getting out of the cityI'm originally from Massachusetts, and I always love escaping to my home state whenever I can. I especially love Western Mass. We have a couple friends who live out there, but it's also just incredibly beautiful and has some really great thrifting!

For escaping the crowds within the city -This is a hard one because no matter where you go there's people! I like going to The Strand and getting lost in their endless rows of books. Especially the top floors where the fashion and art books live. There's far less people and sometimes it gets quiet the same way a library does. Kind of magical.

For dancing - I think dancing could be replaced by karaoke. It's so much fun when you have a group of pals to go with too. Pine Box has great karaoke, Arlene's Grocery does insane live band karaoke that will make you feel like a rock star, and there are tons of places where you can rent a small room for you and your best pals for an evening. BYOB, sing along to your favorite jams and dance the night away. Nothing better!

For hanging out with friends I think my favorite place to be with friends is in everyone's own homes. There's something so special about having good, homemade food and drinks with pals. It feels like a little slice of family for all of us. However, if we're all going out for dinner or to celebrate birthdays or something, we'll usually head to Royal Bangladesh in the East Village. It's a little basement restaurant that's famous for it's insane interior which is covered in Christmas lights. I mean, covered. The hosts are a little eccentric (they call you into the restaurant from the street), but the food is delicious and cheap.



GF: If you didn't live in New York, where would you live?

LH: This is such a tough one! Sometimes we talk about moving to the south–a place like Nashville–but I honestly can't see myself anywhere else than NYC at the moment. I love visiting LA, and have lots of family in Portland, Oregon, but I don't know if I'll ever live in those places. I know people say this all the time, but New York really is just the best.



GF: Where's your favourite place in the world?

LH: My family has a small cottage in the Muskoka region of Ontario. My grandparents bought the property in the late 60's, and my mom and her brothers have been vacationing there every year since they were little. I've been going my entire life. Our cottage is the last house at a dead end road, and we named it The Living End. It's cozy, simple, nothing too fancy. The air is clean, the water in Skeleton Lake is crystal clear and it's a slice of heaven.


GF: What's on your travel bucket list?

LH: My fiancĂ©e and I have been dying to go to Tulum for about three years. Mexico in general actually. His family lived in Chiapas for about 3-4 years before he was born, and he's had an interest in Mexican culture and history for as long as I can remember. I also have some family in San Miguel de Allende, so a Mexico road trip would be really amazing. Some day...


Follow Liz on Instagram: @liz.hull
Visit Liz's online store: Mayflower Supply

No comments:

Post a Comment